How to jazz up your office during the glum, cold months
Hot cocoa, comfort food, beautiful mountain peaks, and holiday jingles all provide fond thoughts about the winter months. While all of these wonderful memories are reminiscent of the holiday season, so is the glum weather.
But the slushy snow, slippery sidewalks and the miraculous bout of rain, snow, hail, and sunshine all at the same time can truly take a toll on your motivation to get office work done. Luckily, you can jazz up your office space during the wintertime to ward off a dreary mood and be more productive as a result.
Try these tips to jazz up your office this winter
1. Embrace the winter. If you spend your time dreading the fact that its winter, your productivity will suffer because your negative thoughts will set the tone for your work process. Embrace the winter by bringing in classic winter decor.
- Snow globes, string lights, origami snowflakes, and window decals are sure to get your winter spirits pumping and your creative juices flowing.
- Keep in mind that if you work in a corporate environment, many offices have set rules for cubicle decor policies. These are made to ensure your safety (such as to prevent a fire from string lights) so find out about the office policies.
2. Vibrant accents. Winter decor is about more than white, silver, and gold. Classic winter decor is also focused around vibrant colors, such as red, green, and blue. Incorporate these bright hues to beef up the positive atmosphere in your workplace.
- Bring in a bright red lamp from the home goods store, or a snazzy tack board covered in vibrant, patterned fabric. And a vase filled with colorful candy canes certainly sets a heartwarming tone for the holiday season!
3. Make yourself at home. When you feel comfortable in your work environment, you’re more likely to be productive. Just a small dab of personality and a touch of a home will make you flourish when it comes to getting things done.
- If you’re a sports fan, place a plaque of your favorite team on your desk. If your favorite color is purple, place a purple throw pillow on your guest chair. And if you often relax at home next to a fish tank, place a water feature, such as a tabletop waterfall, on your desk.
4. Please your taste buds. One of the best things about winter is comfort food. Stash packets of hot cocoa, mint tea, and candy canes in your drawer to warm your heart and please your palette this winter.
- If you work in a corporate environment rather than a home office, give everyone a piece of the action! Bake an apple pie or cheesecake at home and bring it into the office kitchenette. People are less likely to scoff in jealousy at your delight if they’re able to savor the sweets with you.
5. Aromatherapy. Your sense of smell is one of the most powerful senses in your arsenal. Place invigorating candles and scented oils in your office to inspire creativity and stimulate your productivity.
- Mint, cucumber melon, pomegranate, honeydew melon, and clean linen are powerful scents that are sure to help you clear your mind.
- Candles are a cheap way to get your aromatherapy fix. But consider oil warmers also. They last longer and don’t release soot-like most scented candles.
With a little ingenuity and a small amount of cash, your office can go from a dreary winter cave to a welcoming workplace oasis. Your productivity will certainly increase. Another great bonus is that you’ll actually like going to work each morning. Get your ideas flowing and give your office a seasonal makeover that will make your coworkers green with envy!